On an operational firefighter apprenticeship course, you’ll help work in a wide range of emergencies.
As a firefighter, you will respond to emergencies when problem solving and initiative are required to resolve incidents quickly and calmly. Sustaining life is vital in all scenarios, whether a vehicle accident or a natural disaster. When reacting to a problem, you must understand members of the public and casualties who may be distressed and perplexed.
You will also engage with community members to provide health, safety, and wellness information, advice, and help to individuals and organisations. Your day might include theoretical and practical training, as well as testing and maintaining equipment to ensure operational preparedness.
When on duty, you must always be prepared and ready to respond. You’ll be carrying out physically demanding activities at heights, restricted spaces, and outdoors in all weather and environmental conditions.
What you’ll learn
On an operational firefighter apprenticeship course, you’ll learn to:
- Adhere to safe working procedures following the legal requirements given in the knowledge section.
- Work inside an appropriate command and control system.
- Resolve accidents involving hazardous materials safely, such as chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or explosive compounds.
- Work safely in, on, or near water, such as while performing rescues or extracting water for firefighting purposes.
- Rescue people from entrapment situations.
- Accept responsibility for the effective execution of their function.
You’ll usually need:
- Pass a fitness test
- Pass a medical check
- Pass enhanced background checks
- Have a full driving licence
- Be over 18 years of age
- Apprentices without level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level before taking the end-point assessment.
The End Point Assessment consists of three distinct assessment methods:
- Multiple–choice test
- Practical assessment with questioning
- Professional discussion (underpinned by a portfolio of evidence)
Duration and level
- Duration: 24 months
Level: 3 – Advanced Apprenticeship
More information about the Level 3 Operational Firefighter Apprenticeship standard can be found here.
Apprenticeship end point assessment
For more information about the End Point Assessment Process, please read the Institute of Apprenticeships’ information page.