You’ll learn to perform consistently and effectively in training environments and competitions on a sporting excellence professional apprenticeship course.
Football, cricket, rugby league, and rugby union are all covered under this apprenticeship. During your apprenticeship, you will develop into a sports professional capable of consistently and effectively functioning in training and competition circumstances.
A manager or head coach, skill coaches, physiotherapists, psychologists, nutritionists, strength and conditioning experts, and educational professionals will be part of your multi-disciplinary team. You will have a lot of autonomy in terms of responsibility for what happens on the field of play, and you must manage a lot of pressure.
What you’ll learn
On a sporting excellence professional apprenticeship course, you’ll learn to:
- Participate in injury prevention and management programmes that use skilled support workers’ knowledge and abilities to help reduce the impact of an injury on training and competition performance.
- Apply safe practices to all training, preparation, and competition phases, such as working with equipment alone, under pressure, or travelling internationally.
- Take the required steps to gather critical information for before and post-testing, and have a current list of prohibited and restricted medications on hand at all times.
- Implement a diet, hydration, and nutrition improvement programme that includes professional support worker input and evaluation.
- Develop meaningful relationships through communicating with coworkers, colleagues, and peers.
- Handle conflicts successfully in all situations and provide a positive image of themselves, their organisation, and their sport.
- Identify and implement an off-field personal action plan to improve lifestyle management and support and improve mental and emotional well-being.
- Create and carry out a personal, professional action plan that outlines how they will manage their transition into the next stage, considering secondary and supplementary vocations.
- Deliver consistent performance under pressure by efficiently integrating all disciplines.
You’ll usually need:
- A high degree of ability in a particular sport.
- Apprentices without level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level before taking the end-point assessment.
The End Point Assessment consists of three distinct assessment methods:
- A knowledge test answered through a series of multiple–choice questions and scenario-based questions.
- A practical observation with questions and answers
- A professional interview supported by a portfolio of evidence
Duration and level
- Duration: 18 months
Level: 3 – Advanced Apprenticeship
More information about the Level 3 Sporting Excellence Professional Apprenticeship standard can be found here.
Apprenticeship end point assessment
For more information about the End Point Assessment Process, please read the Institute of Apprenticeships’ information page.