1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Employer
  4. How To Get Government Funding For Apprenticeships

How To Get Government Funding For Apprenticeships

Employers having a pay bill of £3 million or more in the United Kingdom will be obliged to pay an apprenticeship levy. This funding is provided by the Apprenticeship Service and may only be used for apprenticeship training and development inside their organisation. 

They will be returned to the government if they do not utilise the levy funds within two years. However, if they spend your whole levy and want to train new apprentices, you will do so the same way an SME would. This is because HMRC collects the levy via the PAYE system. There is a £15,000 allowance, and the government will add 10% to monthly apprenticeship training money.

Employers have complete control over how their apprenticeship funds are used. This money will be distributed to providers through their monthly Individualised Learner Record (ILR) returns.

Individuals who do not pay the levy 

SMEs with a pay spend of less than £3 million contribute 10% of total apprenticeship costs, with the government funding the remaining 90%.

For businesses with less than 50 employees, the government will fund the entire cost of apprenticeship training for 16-18-year-olds.

Your local institution or training provider may also get further information on managing your apprenticeship and finance. You may also contact your local chamber of commerce, economic partnership, or business improvement district.

How to get government funding for apprenticeships?

Individualised Learner Record (ILR) data must be returned to the education provider to receive apprenticeship funding. The ILR Manual includes provider guidelines. In addition, the ESFA funding rules may help employers and providers meet the financial requirements for apprenticeships.

Education providers and employer providers supplying apprenticeship standards and frameworks must collect and keep data for ESFA audits, such as invoices and payment receipts. The ESFA is in charge of regulating the use of public funds and will audit all providers’ data and financial information to guarantee they are following the levy funding requirements.

Updated on August 30, 2022

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles