On a dental technician apprenticeship course, you’ll design, manufacture, modify and repair custom-made dental appliances.
As a dental technician, you will work in a dental lab under the direction of a dentist. The three main types of work are crown and bridge, dentures, and orthodontics. Most labs focus on one or two of these topics, but this apprenticeship will prepare you for all of them.
As a dental technician, you’ll learn to manufacture custom-made medical applications while demonstrating the attention to detail, colour, and manual dexterity necessary.
You will be expected to observe professional norms, engage with dental offices, and sometimes meet with patients as a part of the dental team.
You must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and be responsible for the quality of your final product before it is handed over to the dentist and patient.
What you’ll learn
On a dental technician apprenticeship course, you’ll learn to:
- Design, manufacture, test, repair, modify, and sell biomechanically sound custom-made dental equipment in the three areas stated below:
- Create complete and partial detachable prostheses, as well as personalised imprint trays.
- Make models and dies for environmental initiatives.
- Construct single metallic and tooth-coloured restorations.
- Make bridge substructures and permanent restorations out of tooth-coloured materials.
- Make orthodontic equipment that is removable, helpful, and fixed.
- Learn the fundamentals of employing implants, milling, and precise attachments with various kinds of custom-made dental restorations.
- Communicate with and about patients, their representatives, and the rest of the dental team effectively. Handle complaints quickly and in compliance with GDC guidelines.
You’ll usually need:
- A-levels or existing relevant level 3 qualification, such as dental laboratory assistant apprenticeship.
- Apprentices without level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level before taking the end-point assessment.
The End Point Assessment consists of two distinct assessment methods:
- Showcase of custom–made devices.
- MCQ Exam
Duration and level
- Duration: 36 months
Level: 5 – Higher Apprenticeship
More information about the Level 5 Dental Technician Apprenticeship standard can be found here.
Apprenticeship end point assessment
For more information about the End Point Assessment Process, please read the Institute of Apprenticeships’ information page.